Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Paul McCartney - Live in Rio - April 21, 1990



Band/Artist: Paul McCartney
Where: Maracanã Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
When: April 21, 1990

By Silvio Rodrigues

Great memories from this one. I confess that I’m not a Beatles fan, but this show meant a lot, after all, it was a Beatle in Brazil, so why not attend the show? I remember that my mother said “I followed their success and now my son is going to see Paul McCartney!” What an honor!!!Paul sold out two nights in Maracanã Stadium with 180.000 people in each concert. I went to the second night, on a Saturday. I started to work at my first job just a month earlier and I didn’t have money to afford tickets near the stage so I had to stay far away from it.The audience was a mix of generations but most of them were people around 40 years old or beyond. It was unique to see so many people totally in peace enjoying the show. I saw people dancing to Beatles songs, I saw people crying by emotion to see Paul McCartney live. It’s important to say that was almost impossible to see a concert in Brazil at that time. The country was dealing with major financial problems, struggling with a inflation tax in the order of 2947,7% a year (yes, you read correctly) and because of the price of the dollar, it was hard to see a major concert here. The show was fabulous. Paul was promoting the album Flowers in the Dirt, but I remember he played only two songs from that album: Figure of Eight and My Brave Face. The rest was a mix of songs from the Beatles and Wings. We’re talking about some of the most unforgetable hits in the music history: Jet, Band on the Run, Let it Be, Get Back, The Long and Winding Road, Michelle, Can’t But Me Love, Hey Jude, Live and Let Die…

Highlights:  

Live and Let Die: It was the first time that I saw pyrotechnics on a concert. I went nuts.
Yesterday: What about 180.000 people singing all the words? Beautiful.


And the major one: Paul McCartney, what can I say about this man? Maybe if you try to find the word “Charisma” on the dictionary maybe you will find Paul McCartney as a synonymous.  

Band:
Paul McCartney: Vocals, Bass, Piano
Linda McCartney: Keyboards
Chris Whitten: Drums
Hammish Stuart: Guitars
Robbie McIntosh: Guitars
Paul “Wix” Wickens: Keyboards

YouTube:
Let it Be

Yesterday
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment