Friday, February 3, 2012

London Diaries - Day 1 - December 8, 2011


December 8th, 2011 – Day 1



What a perfect day! The time had come…after 4 months of planning, I would start to realize one more dream, for the first time I was travelling abroad.

The flight to London was scheduled to departure at 11 p.m. so I decided to spend the whole day at my sister’s apartment to relax a little bit. It was my first international trip and I didn’t want to take any risks and I decided to be at the airport 4 hours earlier, at 7 p.m. It’s a short distance from my sister’s apartment to the airport, maybe 20 minutes, so I asked for a taxi to be there at 6:30 p.m. All settled!  I mean, almost everything. The taxi came at 6:40 p.m and I was on my way to the airport, just a 6 km (3,7 miles) ride, but just a few minutes later the traffic suddenly stopped. Ok, no problem, I had plenty of time to get there, so to be stuck on the traffic wouldn’t be a problem, but…time was passing quickly as I stood still at the same place, and to get worse, started a tropical storm in Rio. What a chaos!
The taxi driver was listening the news on the radio and we finally discovered what was REALLY happening. A bus was in flames due to mechanical problems inside a tunnel in another part of the town, stopping three of the major city avenues, mine included. So a 20 minutes taxi drive turned into a 3 hours drive. I arrived at the airport just 15 minutes before the closing of the check-in…I almost missed the flight! Phew! After recovering from the tension, I was ready to get the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment